Salmon and avocado tartar with De Pró Cava
The first in our series of recipes and pairings for the festive season is a starter recommended by our admin manager Marta Collado who loves this recipe as it makes entertaining lots of people a breeze! It can be prepared in advance and chilled while you are cooking the rest of the meal. It also goes perfectly with De Pró Cava to get your meal off to a sparkling start.
For 8 people
- 600g fresh skinless and boneless salmon
- 200g smoked salmon
- 4 ripe avocados
- 60g small gherkins
- 60g capers
- 2 spring onions
- 2 lemons
- 8 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 2 tsp French mustard
- 2 tbsp of chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- Crème fraiche and caviar/lump fish roe to serve (optional)
1. Cut the fresh salmon and avocado into small cubes, keeping them in separate bowls. Mix the finely chopped smoked salmon, gherkins, spring onions, and chives into the salmon mixture. Mix and store in the fridge.
2. Prepare the dressing by mixing the oil, two tbsp of lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tabasco, salt and black pepper. Mix half into the salmon mixture and half into the avocado. Season to taste.
3. To serve, use a ring mould, layering the avocado into the bottom and topping with the salmon mixture. Remove from mould onto a plate.
4. If desired, dress with crème fraiche, caviar or fish roe and a chive.
This is perfect for serving with a Brut Cava like De Pró Cava. A premium Cava made from Macabeo and Parellada grapes, it has the freshness needed to cut through the oily salmon, yet 15 months ageing on its lees have given the rich creaminess on the palate to balance the mouthfeel of the avocado and crème fraiche.